While it was already reported that Allwinner A31s SoC arrived with the new Onda V818mini topping Apple iPad mini ($329) at far better price ($145 in China and $170 outside) [‘USD 99 Allwinner’, March 22, 2013] it is necessary to add to that the related Allwinner communication which arrived later (don’t be mislead with the March 20 dates of the related web pages):
Note that the most interesting thing is that “phablet” category according to them (see much below) is in-fact a small-size tablet (8″, 7.85″, 7″) with baseband (4G/3G/2G), not a similar or different size tablet simply with A31s and Wi-Fi. It is remarkable that the above mentioned Onda V818mini is not such a phablet, although it is the first product based on A31s. It would be quite interesting therefore to monitor the end products promised in the press release below for 2Q 2013.
Update: A31 Introduction by Allwinner Technology Co., Ltd [ARM Partners site, March 13, 2013]
- Quad-core Cortex-A7 CPU utilising 40nm ARM POP Technology
- PMIC AXP221
- PMIC AXP221 is specially made for A31 processor, which is capable of dynamic voltage and frequency adjustment. A31 processor can support up to 30 days standby time.
“Phablets” Rage On: Cutting Edge Quad-Core Phablet A31s Processor Officially Announced by Allwinner Technology
Android Tablet Chipmaker’s A31s Chip Prepared for Widespread Market Adoption,
End Products Shipping Worldwide in 2Q 2013
March 20, 2013 – Allwinner Technology, a worldwide leader in mobile application processor design, today introduced the A31s: the world’s first quad-core Cortex™-A7 SoC designed specifically for phablets.
Jack Lee, Marketing Director, Allwinner Technology, said, “Market research projects that phablet shipments grew at an astounding 4,504% growth rate last year, and they’re projected to hit 150 million units in 2013 (Source: ABI Research). We designed the quad-core A31s specifically for phablets, and that means we’re able to deliver clean radio connectivity, low power consumption, 1080p video and WXGA display support with this exciting system-on-a-chip.”
He continued, “Allwinner supports brands to get great products to market faster. We work closely with our experienced design house partners to ensure product reliability, production scalability, and industry-leading times-to-market. We also work together with brands’ key OEM factory partners as needed.”
Phablets, hybrids between smartphones and tablets, are disrupting the traditional smartphone market and shaping the way people consume mobile media content. A31s, through its turnkey solutions, enables the next generation of low power, connected, and high definition phablets for its brand and hardware partners. It offers optimized connectivity to EDGE, 3G, LTE, WiFi, Bluetooth, FM, GPS, AGPS, and NFC radios.
“Companies like Allwinner are at the forefront of pushing technology to deliver an increasing array of form factors and price points to consumers,” said Ian Drew, executive vice president, Marketing, ARM. “The Allwinner A31s SoC, powered by the combination of the quad-core ARM Cortex™-A7 processor and ARM 40LP POP™ IP technology, demonstrates the level of innovation that is enabled by ARM’s business model. Allwinner’s A31s will create the next generation of exciting low power, high performance platforms that will give consumers the always-on and always-connected lifestyles they want.”
– Quad-core Cortex™-A7 CPU with a fifth power-saving standby core
– PowerVR™ SGX544MP2 GPU with eight unified shader cores
– HawkView camera ISP with enhanced image quality and rapid image capture
– Custom low power companion PMU designed specifically for multi-core CPUs
– Integrated audio codec with multiple mic support and CrispTalk noise cancellation
Power consumption is a critical focus of Allwinner’s new quad-core Cortex™-A7 A31s design. AXP221s, a highly-integrated custom low power companion PMU, provides 2.2A rapid charging capability, precise up to 1% power level detection, and a 21-channel, highly efficient power supply management system optimized for multi-core architectures. And integrated inside A31s, a lightweight fifth core provides low power for standby operation. Results show A31s’s low power focus has paid off: devices running on a 4000mAh-rated battery can get up to 7 hours of battery life while playing video, and up to half a month of battery life while on standby.
3D graphics, GUIs, and the web blaze at lighting-fast speed on A31s platforms, thanks to its eight unified shader core PowerVR™ SGX544MP2 GPU. Tony King-Smith, EVP marketing, Imagination Technologies, said, “We are pleased to be strengthening our strategic partnership with Allwinner. We are delighted that the Allwinner A31s is using the advanced and trend-setting graphics capabilities of PowerVR™ as a key feature in this rapidly developing and highly competitive market.”
Additionally, the A31s can drive HD resolution up to 1280×800 pixels, decode video up to 2160p, and encode video up to 1080p – perfect for mainstream phablets. And A31’s proprietary, integrated HawkView ISP packs a powerful punch: crystal-clear image quality, 0-second image capture, 10 photo bursts per second, and auto-focus in under a second. ISP integration also means lower system costs.
Phablets require high quality voice communication and seamless connectivity with baseband. A31s’s fully integrated audio codec delivers by providing dedicated 24-bit input and output audio channels, supporting up to four microphones (3 analog, 1 digital), and running Allwinner’s proprietary CrispTalk noise cancellation feature. Codec integration reduces system costs, lowering prices for all partners in the chain.
Allwinner Technology is a leading fabless design company dedicated to smart application processor SoCs and smart analog ICs. Its product line includes multi-core application processors for smart devices and smart power management ICs used by brands worldwide.
With its focus on cutting edge UHD video processing, high performance multi-core CPU/GPU integration, and ultra low power consumption, Allwinner Technology is a mainstream solution provider for the global tablet, internet TV, smart home device, automotive in-dash device, smart power management, and mobile connected device markets. Allwinner Technology is headquartered in Zhuhai, China.
Visit our webpage at:
- CPU Cortex-A7 Quad-Core
- 1MB L2-Cache
- GPU SGX544MP2
- Capable of 3G, 2G, LTE, WiFi, Bluetooth, FM, GPS with a minimum of external components
- 2160p video decoding
- H.264 HP 1080p@30fps video encoding
- HDMI1.4 1080p@60fps output
- Integrated Camera ISP
- 32-bit DDR3/DDR3L/LPDDR2
Features Quad-core phablet processor
- ARM Cortex-A7 Quad-Core
- 256KB L1 Cache
- 1MB L2 Cache
- PowerVR SGX544MP2
- Comply with OpenGL ES 2.0, OpenCL 1.x, DX 9_3
- Two sets of I2S/PCM interfaces for Baseband and Bluetooth
- Two integrated differential analog MIC for headset and phone
- Integrated digital MIC
- Dedicated headphone/speaker/receiver outputs
- Two-channel audio ADC with 96dBA SNR
- Two-channel audio DAC with 100dBA SNR
- UHD H.264 2160p video decoding
- Multi-format FHD video decoding, including Mpeg1/2, Mpeg4 SP/ASP GMC, H.263, H.264,etc.
- BD Directory, BD ISO and BD m2ts video decoding
- H.264 High Profile 1080p@30fps or 720p@60fps encoding
- 3840×1080@30fps 3D decoding, BD/SBS/TAB/FP supported
- 3840×1080@30fps 3D encoding
- Comply with RTSP, HTTP, HLS, RTMP, MMS streaming media protocols
- Integrated LVDS/RGB/CPU LCD interface 1280×800 resolution
- Integrated HDMI1.4 1920×1080@60fps
- Support 0.3M/1.3M/2M/5M CMOS sensor
- Support 8/10/12-bit YUV/Bayer sensor
- Static and dynamic defect pixel correction, and lens shading correction
- Anisotropic non-linear Bayer interpolation with false color suppression
- Programmable color correction, dynamic range compression and contrast enhancement
- Advanced spatial de-noise filter
- Anti-flick detection
- 32-bit DDR3/DDR3L/LPDDR2 controller
- 8-bit NAND Flash controller with 64-bit ECC
- PMIC AXP221s
- 21-CH power output and 2.2A Flash charging
- Comply with USB 3.0 power supply standard
- Support Android 4.1/4.2 and above
- Compatible with Microsoft Windows 8
Features Quad-core phablet processor
Consequently there is a new Allwinner Technology-Mobile Applications / Phablet page inside the Allwinner Technology-Mobile Applications microsite:
8″, 7.85″, 7″
And the company also published a new Pro A31 Kit page added to other Dev-Kits pages
Pro A31 Kit
Pro A10 Kit
Hackberry A10 Board